One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Deliberately arriving after an event has started, especially in order to prove one's social status.‘I arrived at the party fashionably late’
- ‘I've always wanted to know exactly how late fashionably late is.’
- ‘Anne was sure her father would turn up at some point: he believed in being fashionably late, not unfashionably Not Present.’
- ‘Anyone planning to be fashionably late for the show will miss a crucial part of the plot.’
- ‘My getting in the way marred her almost perfectly executed fashionably late entrance.’
- ‘I was only about half an hour late, which I guess still counts as being fashionably late.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.