One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The modern Persian language that is the official language of Iran.
- ‘Iran's official language is Farsi, which is also known as Persian.’
- ‘Islam and the Arabic language have bequeathed the Arabic alphabet for languages like Farsi, Urdu, Old Hausa and others.’
- ‘The intelligence agencies are woefully short of people fluent in Arabic, Farsi, and Urdu, and this is remediable.’
- ‘Among the immigrant population, English, Hindi, Urdu, Farsi, and Filipino are spoken.’
- ‘This was followed by some travel, including time in Iran, where she taught herself Farsi, the language of the area.’
From Arabic fārsī, from Fārs, from Persian Pārs ‘Persia’. Compare with Parsee.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.