Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The modern Persian language that is the official language of Iran.
- ‘Iran's official language is Farsi, which is also known as Persian.’
- ‘The intelligence agencies are woefully short of people fluent in Arabic, Farsi, and Urdu, and this is remediable.’
- ‘This was followed by some travel, including time in Iran, where she taught herself Farsi, the language of the area.’
- ‘Among the immigrant population, English, Hindi, Urdu, Farsi, and Filipino are spoken.’
- ‘Islam and the Arabic language have bequeathed the Arabic alphabet for languages like Farsi, Urdu, Old Hausa and others.’
From Arabic fārsī, from Fārs, from Persian Pārs Persia Compare with Parsee.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.