One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A house attached to a farm, especially the main house in which the farmer lives.
- ‘For many people it conjures up visions of log cabins, country farmhouses and Shaker style kitchens.’
- ‘They will eat in a dark kitchen in the farmhouse, sitting by the embers of last night's fire.’
- ‘With the current problems in agriculture, many farmhouses are now being sold separately from the land.’
- ‘In the countryside, cottages and farmhouses, alongside big houses and estates, have existed since the 18th century at least.’
- ‘We spend a couple of afternoons lazily drifting along the back roads, past clapperboard farmhouses, vineyards and corn-fields.’
- ‘With only £5,000 for repairs they struggled to meet the builders' quotation of £30,000 to transform two farmhouses into holiday cottages.’
- ‘The outside room is planned both as a substitute garden and as the social centre of the farmhouse.’
- ‘Rural dwellers have traditionally lived in whitewashed stone cottages and farmhouses.’
- ‘Old farmhouses where old farmers once wore two coats to breakfast are being done up and sold for a million.’
- ‘Eddie and Maria live in an isolated farmhouse in the Norwegian countryside.’
- ‘The main house faced east towards the main gate with an aisled farmhouse to the north and a range of farm buildings to the south.’
- ‘Darker woods are used to create a heritage effect in traditional farmhouses and cottages.’
- ‘Years ago it was the standard way of supplying water to houses and farmhouses.’
- ‘One goes to stay with the other's family at a farmhouse out in the country.’
- ‘Fashionable, little town houses lined the cobble stone streets, and large farmhouses dotted the towns outskirts.’
- ‘She returns to David, setting up a new home with him in a beautiful farmhouse outside Bakewell.’
- ‘The affluent farmers, who owned farmhouses, grievously misused it.’
- ‘She said the incident had taken place in a farm field opposite her house where there is a farmhouse and outbuildings.’
- ‘The next thing she knew, there was the sound of a car horn coming from the lane on which their farmhouse home stands.’
- ‘Looking around at the top of this hill, all I could see were farms, farmhouses, trees, and normal houses.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.