One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A house attached to a farm, especially the main house in which the farmer lives.
- ‘They will eat in a dark kitchen in the farmhouse, sitting by the embers of last night's fire.’
- ‘The next thing she knew, there was the sound of a car horn coming from the lane on which their farmhouse home stands.’
- ‘Darker woods are used to create a heritage effect in traditional farmhouses and cottages.’
- ‘Rural dwellers have traditionally lived in whitewashed stone cottages and farmhouses.’
- ‘She said the incident had taken place in a farm field opposite her house where there is a farmhouse and outbuildings.’
- ‘Looking around at the top of this hill, all I could see were farms, farmhouses, trees, and normal houses.’
- ‘We spend a couple of afternoons lazily drifting along the back roads, past clapperboard farmhouses, vineyards and corn-fields.’
- ‘With the current problems in agriculture, many farmhouses are now being sold separately from the land.’
- ‘In the countryside, cottages and farmhouses, alongside big houses and estates, have existed since the 18th century at least.’
- ‘Old farmhouses where old farmers once wore two coats to breakfast are being done up and sold for a million.’
- ‘Years ago it was the standard way of supplying water to houses and farmhouses.’
- ‘She returns to David, setting up a new home with him in a beautiful farmhouse outside Bakewell.’
- ‘One goes to stay with the other's family at a farmhouse out in the country.’
- ‘The outside room is planned both as a substitute garden and as the social centre of the farmhouse.’
- ‘With only £5,000 for repairs they struggled to meet the builders' quotation of £30,000 to transform two farmhouses into holiday cottages.’
- ‘The affluent farmers, who owned farmhouses, grievously misused it.’
- ‘For many people it conjures up visions of log cabins, country farmhouses and Shaker style kitchens.’
- ‘The main house faced east towards the main gate with an aisled farmhouse to the north and a range of farm buildings to the south.’
- ‘Eddie and Maria live in an isolated farmhouse in the Norwegian countryside.’
- ‘Fashionable, little town houses lined the cobble stone streets, and large farmhouses dotted the towns outskirts.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.