Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having important and widely applicable effects or implications.‘a series of far-reaching political reforms’
extensive, wide-ranging, radical, profound, comprehensive, widespread, all-embracing, overarching, across the board, sweeping, blanket, wholesaleimportant, significant, major, of great import, of significance, ambitious, momentous, life-changing, of moment, weighty, consequential, of consequenceView synonyms
- ‘Council decisions can have far-reaching effects on many people's lives.’
- ‘The success of the global effort to break the human genetic code has far-reaching significance.’
- ‘Has their impact been as radical and far-reaching as was that of the industrial revolution?’
- ‘What has been achieved is a compromise which places three important and far-reaching restrictions on this trade.’
- ‘The decision we take today can have far-reaching and wide-ranging consequences.’
- ‘The fickle old tentacles of fame have already had far-reaching effects.’
- ‘Here is one example of the far-reaching harmful effects of these bills.’
- ‘The recent exposures of corporate corruption have a far-reaching social significance.’
- ‘Simple changes to the supply and demand rules can have far-reaching effects.’
- ‘The bishop said the precedents being set by America were of far-reaching importance.’
- ‘The far-reaching implications of this are surely of extreme importance.’
- ‘What interests us are the more far-reaching political consequences of this crisis.’
- ‘However, he had risked his entire political career on a far-reaching compromise and lost.’
- ‘The implementation of such a plan is beyond any logic, with far-reaching implications.’
- ‘The precedent that is being set has far-reaching and deeply reactionary implications.’
- ‘What was clear, though, was that his death could have far-reaching implications.’
- ‘It is corrosive of everything, in a way that should also worry those of us who favour far-reaching political change.’
- ‘His work constitutes a radical, far-reaching overhaul of the conventions of French poetry and drama.’
- ‘The spurious impact of channels on society is an issue of gruesome and far-reaching consequences.’
- ‘That report would later have far-reaching implications for South African politics.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.