Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having important and widely applicable effects or implications.‘a series of far-reaching political reforms’
extensive, wide-ranging, radical, profound, comprehensive, widespread, all-embracing, overarching, across the board, sweeping, blanket, wholesaleView synonyms
- ‘The spurious impact of channels on society is an issue of gruesome and far-reaching consequences.’
- ‘Here is one example of the far-reaching harmful effects of these bills.’
- ‘The recent exposures of corporate corruption have a far-reaching social significance.’
- ‘Council decisions can have far-reaching effects on many people's lives.’
- ‘Has their impact been as radical and far-reaching as was that of the industrial revolution?’
- ‘The success of the global effort to break the human genetic code has far-reaching significance.’
- ‘The fickle old tentacles of fame have already had far-reaching effects.’
- ‘That report would later have far-reaching implications for South African politics.’
- ‘The far-reaching implications of this are surely of extreme importance.’
- ‘However, he had risked his entire political career on a far-reaching compromise and lost.’
- ‘His work constitutes a radical, far-reaching overhaul of the conventions of French poetry and drama.’
- ‘The precedent that is being set has far-reaching and deeply reactionary implications.’
- ‘The decision we take today can have far-reaching and wide-ranging consequences.’
- ‘What was clear, though, was that his death could have far-reaching implications.’
- ‘It is corrosive of everything, in a way that should also worry those of us who favour far-reaching political change.’
- ‘What interests us are the more far-reaching political consequences of this crisis.’
- ‘The implementation of such a plan is beyond any logic, with far-reaching implications.’
- ‘What has been achieved is a compromise which places three important and far-reaching restrictions on this trade.’
- ‘The bishop said the precedents being set by America were of far-reaching importance.’
- ‘Simple changes to the supply and demand rules can have far-reaching effects.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.