Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Unlikely and unconvincing; implausible.
improbable, unlikely, implausible, scarcely credible, difficult to believe, dubious, doubtful, unconvincing, incredible, unbelievable, unthinkable, beyond the bounds of possibilitycontrived, strained, laboured, forced, elaborate, overdonefanciful, unrealistic, ridiculous, absurd, preposteroushard to swallow, hard to take, fishyhokeyView synonyms
- ‘I have a theory, but it might sound really far-fetched.’
- ‘Who knows, but what they propose is not as far-fetched as it sounds.’
- ‘Talk of people hacking into the system is not entirely far-fetched.’
- ‘I find that the opposition to this bill is far-fetched, to the point of being ridiculous.’
- ‘As a foreseeability issue it was far-fetched and fanciful.’
- ‘For Shanghai gourmets, the prospect of being able to enjoy authentic Egyptian food has always sounded a bit far-fetched.’
- ‘If it sounds too far-fetched to be true, it's not.’
- ‘While it sounds great it does also seem a bit far-fetched and of course there is the very real objection that what comes after corrupt monarchies might actually be worse.’
- ‘But being so explicit is not as far-fetched as one might think.’
- ‘It's too far-fetched to imagine a conspiracy, of course.’
- ‘The theory is not as far-fetched as it would at first appear.’
- ‘Only when a risk becomes far-fetched or fanciful will the law refuse to acknowledge it.’
- ‘The steady improvement in records of all sporting events may, at first glance, look like biological evolution at work, but that is far-fetched.’
- ‘This gives the text a flare similar to that of a supermarket tabloid - eye-catching, but too far-fetched to be credible.’
- ‘In the end, I don't think that what I was thinking was quite so far-fetched, because the premise of this show is absolutely evil.’
- ‘If this sounds a little far-fetched, just think about yourself.’
- ‘Your Honour, I do not know the full facts, but from the facts that your Honour has given me, it would not seem to be far-fetched or fanciful.’
- ‘Quite frankly, it all sounded a little far-fetched as I read the back of my trial pack, but the idea of pheromones has always held something of a fascination to me.’
- ‘It's far-fetched, of course, but not outside the realm of possibility.’
- ‘But ornithologists believe these theories are far-fetched.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.