One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1North American informal A person's buttocks.
buttocks, behind, backside, rear, rear end, seat, haunches, cheeksView synonyms
- ‘‘You'll find out soon enough,’ Jorge grumbled as he rubbed his fanny.’
- ‘This is Elvis Presley, wiggling his fanny for posterity.’
- ‘Marketing has to be ‘job one ‘he says, and the bottom line is ‘putting fannies in seats‘.’
- ‘I gave him another shot of cough syrup and a pat on the fanny and sent him back out onto the Play-Doh-covered field.’
- ‘I was able to catch him under the chin, while he was leaning over, and I knocked him flat on his fanny… He calmed down then, and when he got back on his feet he spent the next half hour ministering to the injured.’
2British vulgar slang A woman's genitals.
Late 19th century: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.