1North American informal A person's buttocks.
buttocks, behind, backside, rear, rear end, seat, haunches, cheeksView synonyms
- ‘This is Elvis Presley, wiggling his fanny for posterity.’
- ‘I gave him another shot of cough syrup and a pat on the fanny and sent him back out onto the Play-Doh-covered field.’
- ‘Marketing has to be ‘job one ‘he says, and the bottom line is ‘putting fannies in seats‘.’
- ‘I was able to catch him under the chin, while he was leaning over, and I knocked him flat on his fanny… He calmed down then, and when he got back on his feet he spent the next half hour ministering to the injured.’
- ‘‘You'll find out soon enough,’ Jorge grumbled as he rubbed his fanny.’
2British vulgar slang A woman's genitals.
Late 19th century: of unknown origin.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.