One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small semicircular or rectangular window over a door or another window.
- ‘The four corners of the facades are accented with tall wooden pilasters, and the two identical front doors with semicircular fanlights are framed by pilasters supporting molded cornices.’
- ‘Manda could see a semicircular fanlight over the front door as the Michael steered the jeep toward the front of wrought iron gate.’
- ‘A flight of granite steps leads to a front door with a fanlight.’
- ‘The front door has a fanlight while the hall has an ornate centre rose and coving.’
- ‘The principal doorways of both buildings are framed by pilasters and display graceful semicircular fanlights crowned with open pediments.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.