One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A woman's lover.
boyfriend, girlfriend, man friend, woman friend, lady friend, lady-love, beau, loved one, beloved, love, darling, sweetheartView synonyms
- ‘‘And to cap it all, Ephesia has got herself a fancy man,’ he might have added.’
- ‘She also spent a lot of my money last summer riding around with her fancy-man.’
- ‘She only told Arthur, but didn't twig that her new fancy man is a journalist.’
- ‘And then his mother had run off with her 'fancy man', so Gran said.’
- ‘In the seven part series - already being hailed a hit - Rebecca's 16-year-old character makes moves on her mother's alcoholic fancy man Frank, causing all sorts of trouble.’
- 1.1archaic A pimp.
procurer, procuressView synonyms
- ‘A prostitute attempts to make him her "fancy man." Finally he becomes a rich girl's "companion."’
- ‘She falls for the guy who everyone knows is a fancy man, and now she's all upset.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.