Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(of a person or their thoughts and ideas) overimaginative and unrealistic.‘a fanciful story about a pot of gold’
impractical, impracticable, unworkable, unfeasible, non-viableView synonyms
- ‘He is less imaginative or fanciful than Tom, but more practical.’
- ‘Is it really so fanciful to expect coffee shops and bars to provide internet access on the house?’
- ‘He'd always said such things like that, always so fanciful and imaginative with an underlying tone of seriousness.’
- ‘The idea of a team made up of footballers who could play anywhere, moving around the pitch as the game and their colleagues demanded, now seems quaint and fanciful.’
- ‘Okay, so admittedly that may be a fanciful and unrealistic goal.’
- 1.1Existing only in the imagination or fancy.‘the Moon Maiden is one of a number of fanciful lunar inhabitants’
fantastic, extravagant, far-fetched, romantic, unbelievable, ridiculous, absurd, preposterousimaginative, inventiveView synonyms
- ‘The judge said the two men lived in a ‘strange and fanciful world’ where they thought they could ‘ride around in cars, armed to the hilt’.’
- ‘Paintings of original and fanciful snowmen are one favorite, and winter trees or landscapes are another.’
- ‘And I think you never outgrow your love for those imaginative, fanciful, farfetched, fantastic characters and situations.’
- ‘In this way I made bright many linens to cover the holy books, and made for myself gay designs of fanciful beasts and birds upon my gowns and sashes.’
- ‘During their mission, they encounter all kinds of bizarre and fanciful creatures.’
- 1.2Designed to be exotically ornamental rather than practical.‘fanciful bonnets’
ornate, exotic, imaginative, creative, fancyView synonyms
- ‘They made fanciful designs with dots, lines and geometric patterns on walls, antlers and other things.’
- ‘The living room is the most fanciful; its highly abstract designs interspersed with some identifiable birds and the occasional flower.’
- ‘Wu Bing designed wonderful costumes, from semi-traditional to fanciful, while the lighting was minimal, sets almost nonexistent, and most of the music American.’
- ‘The new place is colourful and inviting, as sunflower-yellow walls help to show off Obadia's collection of colourful wall hangings, photographs, ornamental pots and fanciful souvenirs.’
- ‘The fountain illustrated, an exquisite piece of Gothic architecture in miniature, was designed to be both fanciful and functional.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.