One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
with modifier A connoisseur or enthusiast of something, especially someone who has a special interest in or breeds a particular animal.‘a pigeon fancier’
enthusiast, devotee, hobbyist, lover, addict, fan, fanaticView synonyms
- ‘Now crossword fanciers know that there are words for things that crossword setters just always use.’
- ‘Throughout the late 1800s, English dog fanciers became increasingly fascinated with breeds indigenous to the European continent.’
- ‘The Bird Watching Team and parrot fanciers around the country are very excited.’
- ‘Post-war concerns about breed purity became academic as cat fanciers scrambled to make whatever judicious compromises they could in order to insure the survival of their chosen breeds.’
- ‘In a late '70s newsletter to prospective ocicat fanciers, Daly explained that one reason for the breed's spotty progress was a pet limitation ordinance passed by the town council where she lived.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.