Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A palm with large, lobed, fan-shaped leaves.
- ‘As was typical in Victorian times, palm trees were a prominent feature of the landscape, and one such lofty California fan palm, Washington filifera, soars more than 130 feet above the garden.’
- ‘The European fan palm, Chamaerops humilis, is half hardy to frost-tender, minimum 7°C, so it might be unwise to plant this out in the garden as any frost will damage it.’
- ‘The Trachycarpus fortunei from China is also a fan palm but smaller than the European Fan Palm.’
- ‘Exotic plants, such as this Mexican fan palm, are available at garden centers and home improvement stores.’
- ‘The park encompasses 800,000 acres of prime high-desert terrain, from craggy 5,000-foot mountains to secluded canyons lined by native California fan palms that are hundreds of years old.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.