One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A palm with large lobed fan-shaped leaves.
- ‘As was typical in Victorian times, palm trees were a prominent feature of the landscape, and one such lofty California fan palm, Washington filifera, soars more than 130 feet above the garden.’
- ‘The Trachycarpus fortunei from China is also a fan palm but smaller than the European Fan Palm.’
- ‘The park encompasses 800,000 acres of prime high-desert terrain, from craggy 5,000-foot mountains to secluded canyons lined by native California fan palms that are hundreds of years old.’
- ‘The European fan palm, Chamaerops humilis, is half hardy to frost-tender, minimum 7°C, so it might be unwise to plant this out in the garden as any frost will damage it.’
- ‘Exotic plants, such as this Mexican fan palm, are available at garden centers and home improvement stores.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.