One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A palm with large lobed fan-shaped leaves.
Chamaerops and other genera, family Palmae: many species, including the dwarf (or European) fan palm (C. humilis), which is the only palm native to Europe
- ‘As was typical in Victorian times, palm trees were a prominent feature of the landscape, and one such lofty California fan palm, Washington filifera, soars more than 130 feet above the garden.’
- ‘The park encompasses 800,000 acres of prime high-desert terrain, from craggy 5,000-foot mountains to secluded canyons lined by native California fan palms that are hundreds of years old.’
- ‘Exotic plants, such as this Mexican fan palm, are available at garden centers and home improvement stores.’
- ‘The Trachycarpus fortunei from China is also a fan palm but smaller than the European Fan Palm.’
- ‘The European fan palm, Chamaerops humilis, is half hardy to frost-tender, minimum 7°C, so it might be unwise to plant this out in the garden as any frost will damage it.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.