Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Letters from fans to a famous person they admire.
- ‘Nora's quirky radio talk show launched barely two weeks ago, but already it is attracting fan mail from Alaska to Singapore.’
- ‘She gets fan mail from abroad as well, and that's something about which she feels really good.’
- ‘They're going to erase all of the email I've gotten in the past two years, which means probably about 1000 pieces of fan mail alone.’
- ‘He is even considerate enough to take time from his day to answer fan mail personally rather than getting a secretary to do it for him.’
- ‘On the other extreme, I also began to receive marriage proposals and correspondence that could be described as fan mail.’
- ‘Which Hollywood star has received the most fan mail?’
- ‘He says most of his neighbours are behind him and he's received a large amount of fan mail from his demographically diverse patrons.’
- ‘Well-known for his suave good looks, Khalid soon attracted female fan mail.’
- ‘We've also received generous amounts of fan mail so we are getting our fair share of good press.’
- ‘One of the joys of being a public figure is getting fan mail.’
- ‘She gets fan mail from places as diverse as America, Iceland and India.’
- ‘Just had my first piece of fan mail from someone who's read my entire blog in one sitting over 6 hours.’
- ‘During the last 12 years of her life, Mae West spent mornings answering fan mail and afternoons trying on hats.’
- ‘Archer received 2,000 Christmas cards himself, and bags of fan mail are still delivered to him each week.’
- ‘The horse even has his own website which attracts electronic fan mail from around the world.’
- ‘At the height of their fame they received almost as much fan mail as the Beatles!’
- ‘‘Darren gets sacks of fan mail from all over,’ said his father.’
- ‘I am highly entertained by the fact that I get fan mail now, as a result of my blog writing.’
- ‘When you get your fan mail, how do you guys decide what you're going to be responding to?’
- ‘I wrote them fan mail when I was a kid and invited them to my house for breakfast when they came through town on tour.’
fan mail/ˈfan ˌmāl/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.