One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A diagram showing the relationships between people in several generations of a family; a genealogical tree.
ancestry, genealogy, descent, lineage, line, line of descent, bloodline, blood, parentage, pedigree, background, extraction, derivation, race, strain, stock, breedView synonyms
- ‘There is also a detailed chronology, family trees, maps and a list of contents.’
- ‘Family history and family trees are important because they tell us where we have come from, the point of growth that we have reached, and with whom we connected.’
- ‘With a white chalky stone, the guide was kneeling on the kasbah roof, trying to draw the El Glaoui family tree on the dun-coloured surface.’
- ‘Part of the exhibition incorporates a high tech family tree where people can key in the name of the person they are interested in and see them appear before them on screen.’
- ‘But amongst the books were also handwritten journals, and she even found a delicately drawn out family tree.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.