One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A diagram showing the relationships between people in several generations of a family; a genealogical tree.
ancestry, genealogy, descent, lineage, line, line of descent, bloodline, blood, parentage, pedigree, background, extraction, derivation, race, strain, stock, breedView synonyms
- ‘Part of the exhibition incorporates a high tech family tree where people can key in the name of the person they are interested in and see them appear before them on screen.’
- ‘There is also a detailed chronology, family trees, maps and a list of contents.’
- ‘But amongst the books were also handwritten journals, and she even found a delicately drawn out family tree.’
- ‘With a white chalky stone, the guide was kneeling on the kasbah roof, trying to draw the El Glaoui family tree on the dun-coloured surface.’
- ‘Family history and family trees are important because they tell us where we have come from, the point of growth that we have reached, and with whom we connected.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.