One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be hurt, killed, damaged, or destroyed by.‘many streams have fallen victim to the recent drought’
fall ill with, be stricken with, become infected with, catch, develop, contract, pick upView synonyms
- ‘If accuracy and nuance sometimes fall victim to all this rhetoric, well, there's a war on, folks.’
- ‘Adverse effects of high consumption levels, however, lead to Irish people falling victim to more accidents and violence, new research shows.’
- ‘A 16-year-old boy was left with a black eye and facial bruising after falling victim to what appears to have been the first reported incident of its kind in the borough.’
- ‘I am concerned that companies are falling victim to online commercial extortion and we are not being told.’
- ‘A mother whose young daughter allegedly fell victim to the abuse condemned the BNP for turning her ordeal into a race issue.’
- ‘If we adopt the stance that it's fine to disregard generalisations such as cultural relativism we may actually be falling victim to just such a thing.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.