One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A scapegoat.‘he contends that he is innocent, that he was set up as a fall guy’
dupe, easy target, easy prey, fair game, sitting target, everybody's fool, stooge, gull, fool, aunt sallyView synonyms
- ‘The veteran strategist is rapidly emerging as the fall guy for the Kerry campaign's lacklustre August.’
- ‘She's obviously being set up to be the fall guy and she's it.’
- ‘Whether or not the person who actually takes the blame is the real culprit or a fall guy, we may never know.’
- ‘And then they picked this one auditor who could be their fall guy.’
- ‘An Iranian Intelligence Ministry agent faces a charge of ‘quasi-intentional murder,’ but many believe he's being made a fall guy.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.