One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Be shown to be inadequate or false; fail.‘the deal fell down partly because there were a lot of unanswered questions’
fail, be unsuccessful, not succeed, lack success, not make the grade, not come up to expectations, fall short, fall flat, disappointView synonyms
- ‘Dunblane was where the handgun licensing system fell down catastrophically.’
- ‘Tuck and everyone at the SQA were confident that would be the case but then fell down on the task.’
- ‘Where the Times fell down was in the awkward split between its two sections.’
- ‘It fell down on information governance, MRSA rates and its stroke unit facilities.’
- ‘Of course, this falls down if surfers fail to double-check the authenticity of a site.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.