Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
nountrademark in US
A nickname for the World Series.
- ‘He was 19 years, one month old when he pitched one and a third scoreless innings for the Boston Red Sox in the 1967 World Series against the Cardinals, at that time making him the youngest hurler to appear in a Fall Classic.’
- ‘September 14: Major league baseball cancels the World Series - making it the first season without a Fall Classic in 90 years.’
- ‘He picked up his second World Series victory on the way to a 4-3 record in three Fall Classics.’
- ‘Now there was speculation that with Sutcliffe on the mound, they once again would be taking on Detroit in a Fall Classic.’
- ‘Steve was eager to link with his father's past by also pitching in a Fall Classic involving the Cubs and Tigers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.