Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An external metal or plastic structure added to increase streamlining and reduce drag, especially on a high-performance car, motorcycle, boat, or aircraft.
- ‘The wing fairing and the associated structure have been installed on the forward fuselage section.’
- ‘Years later when the definitive fin/rudder was retrofitted to this aircraft, these fairings remained unchanged.’
- ‘The engine nacelles are fitted with trouser fairings to provide a continuous streamlined profile between the nacelles and the tail beams.’
- ‘At about five minutes into the flight the booster engine drops off and the payload fairing - a protective shell - jettisons.’
- ‘The self-sealing fuel tanks are mounted in external fairings on the sides of the fuselage.’
- ‘As with any other military aircraft, the cowling and fairings had taken a pretty good beating as they were taken on and off hundreds of times.’
- ‘Emergency floatation units can be installed on the main landing gear fairings and on the forward section of the fuselage.’
- ‘The interior is finished and painted and most of the internal components and some of the external fairings have been rebuilt and are ready to go back in.’
- ‘The main landing gear, each equipped with two wheels in tandem, is installed in fairings on the underside of the fuselage.’
- ‘Each tank is fitted with a gravity fuelling point and there is a pressure refuelling point in the landing gear fairing on the starboard side.’
A small present bought at a fair.
- ‘A more usual derivation, from the other spelling, is that it comes from Care or Carle Sunday, in the way, suggests Brand, that presents from fairs are called fairlings, or as we should say, fairings.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.