Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A system of rearing livestock using intensive methods, by which poultry, pigs, or cattle are confined indoors under strictly controlled conditions.
- ‘Laboratories using new tissue engineering technology might be able to produce meat that is healthier for consumers and cut down on pollution produced by factory farming, researchers said.’
- ‘The mountains of manure that factory farming generates foul our air and water, disrupting ecosystems and sickening rural communities.’
- ‘She says gardening is a good introduction to issues such as factory farming, pesticides and genetically modified food.’
- ‘Nor is a return to ‘primitive’ farming practices the only alternative to factory farming and highly intensive agriculture.’
- ‘Intensive factory farming has happened because of this demand for cheap food.’
factory farming/ˈfakt(ə)rē ˌfärmiNG/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.