Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Flesh-tinted cosmetic powder used to improve the appearance of the face by reducing shine and concealing blemishes.
- ‘Mrs Dawson, the caretaker, was fat and comforting with a smell like face powder and lipstick.’
- ‘Kaitlin takes out a compact from her black satin purse and starts applying some face powder.’
- ‘We'd walk down to Ojai Avenue, stopping at Bill Baker's Bakery for bread, at the drugstore for a candy bar for me and, for my grandmother, face powder in a shocking pink jar.’
- ‘Who can stand more than a dusting of face powder and lip gloss when temperatures reach the high 90s during the summer?’
- ‘A brush with a generous, dome-shaped head does double duty: Use it to apply blush or bronzer, then dust it off to apply your translucent face powder.’
- ‘Pat on a little face powder then dust off the excess.’
- ‘Over the last century face powder has undergone a revolution, but at times it still looked caked or floury on mature skin.’
- ‘Ladies will make use of the mirror for putting-on lipstick, checking the mascara and face powder and tons of other things they do with their faces.’
- ‘A little mascara and a dash of silver eyeshadow, then a touch of shimmery lip gloss and a quick brush of face powder and she was done.’
- ‘She tries in vain to reverse what is happening through the use of face powder and a powder puff, but with the knowledge that nothing can be done.’
- ‘She put the smaller case down next to an oak chest of drawers and a cheap white vanity unit, smeared with red lipstick and coated in face powder, cigarette ash and cat hairs.’
- ‘Make-ups include vanishing cream, face powder, compressed powders, and cream makeup.’
- ‘To give your lashes extra ‘oomph’, use eyelash curlers before applying mascara, or apply the tiniest amount of face powder to coat the lashes and thicken them before sweeping on the mascara.’
- ‘Heavy creams should be abandoned, face powder should be discarded, instead, a light dusting of bronzing powder should be brushed over the liquid foundation to set it and add a little extra glow.’
- ‘Where Jamie's lips would have been slicked with simple chapstick, hers were covered in gloss, and her entire face seemed to glitter, the effect of the light striking off face powder.’
- ‘The earring on the nose was gone and she had put on light make-up: lip-gloss and some face powder.’
- ‘Items for the bathroom included perfume, face powder, aspirin, combs, razor blades, bobby pins, and other sundry items.’
- ‘This morning I showered, moisturised, selected a skirt, tried it on with a couple of tops, selected the right top, blow dried my hair, applied face powder, mascara and lipstick, put on my new skimpy sandals and made my way into work.’
- ‘Mrs Warburton was looking at her coldly from a great height, with a triple chin and those lines face powder couldn't conceal.’
- ‘Bismuth oxychloride, for example, is a lustrous white powder that is used in making face powder.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.