Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A playing card that is a king, queen, or jack of a suit.
- ‘If the card played is a face card (king, queen or jack) which matches the rank of a face card on the table, the face card on the table may be captured.’
- ‘When the deck is unusually rich in face cards and aces, they bet more, and when the deck is relatively poor in these cards, they bet less.’
- ‘As a general rule, don't let the upcoming poker game affect your value game strategy unless the turn-up card is a face card.’
- ‘If the card he draws is a face card, then the Joker's effect is nullified.’
- ‘The aces, tens and face cards have point values associated with them.’
- ‘You've got 15, and the dealer is showing a face card.’
- ‘No matter how hard you work you will always be left with the impression he holds a face card under the table.’
- ‘For each face card played from a hand to the tableau layout, another card must be drawn from the deck and added to a hand.’
- ‘A face card and a heart are removed and the twenty remaining cards are dealt out.’
- ‘Face cards should probably only be kept if a player is dealt a natural pair, or perhaps an individual wild card with a face card.’
- ‘There are two separate rules for face cards and number cards as follows.’
- ‘If you set down a face card, an ace, or a joker, then next person has a certain number of chances to set down one of those cards.’
- ‘Subjects win a token if a face card appears and lose a token when a number card is played.’
- ‘January in the desert isn't the only face card in the European Tour's new hand either.’
- ‘For each face card in his/her field, the player gains a certain number of points.’
- ‘Secondly, the only true works of art in regular playing cards, are face cards, the jokers and the ace of spades.’
- ‘A Courage card's courage is represented by its face value or fifteen if it is a face card.’
- ‘Pick a face card to represent social influence - its influence is equivalent to three number cards.’
- ‘This hand must consist of 4 cards of the same rank (any rank from 2 to 10, not face cards) and 3 of the same face card.’
- ‘If any of these hand cards are tens or face cards, players can discard some or all of those cards.’
face card/ˈfās ˌkärd/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.