One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A playing card that is a king, queen, or jack of a suit.
- ‘If you set down a face card, an ace, or a joker, then next person has a certain number of chances to set down one of those cards.’
- ‘When the deck is unusually rich in face cards and aces, they bet more, and when the deck is relatively poor in these cards, they bet less.’
- ‘If the card he draws is a face card, then the Joker's effect is nullified.’
- ‘If the card played is a face card (king, queen or jack) which matches the rank of a face card on the table, the face card on the table may be captured.’
- ‘For each face card in his/her field, the player gains a certain number of points.’
- ‘January in the desert isn't the only face card in the European Tour's new hand either.’
- ‘Secondly, the only true works of art in regular playing cards, are face cards, the jokers and the ace of spades.’
- ‘A Courage card's courage is represented by its face value or fifteen if it is a face card.’
- ‘You've got 15, and the dealer is showing a face card.’
- ‘No matter how hard you work you will always be left with the impression he holds a face card under the table.’
- ‘A face card and a heart are removed and the twenty remaining cards are dealt out.’
- ‘This hand must consist of 4 cards of the same rank (any rank from 2 to 10, not face cards) and 3 of the same face card.’
- ‘For each face card played from a hand to the tableau layout, another card must be drawn from the deck and added to a hand.’
- ‘Pick a face card to represent social influence - its influence is equivalent to three number cards.’
- ‘Subjects win a token if a face card appears and lose a token when a number card is played.’
- ‘Face cards should probably only be kept if a player is dealt a natural pair, or perhaps an individual wild card with a face card.’
- ‘There are two separate rules for face cards and number cards as follows.’
- ‘The aces, tens and face cards have point values associated with them.’
- ‘If any of these hand cards are tens or face cards, players can discard some or all of those cards.’
- ‘As a general rule, don't let the upcoming poker game affect your value game strategy unless the turn-up card is a face card.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.