One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A canine tooth, especially one in the upper jaw.
- ‘What would the difference be between the left eye tooth and the right eye tooth?’
- ‘Because of gaps where teeth were extracted to make space, when I was ten, my eye teeth are disproportionately long, and I think they're getting longer.’
- ‘I think the last of Frank's teeth are starting to come in - the eye teeth both up and down.’
- ‘He drew his mouth back into a sneer, revealing his menacing canine eye teeth.’
- ‘Her eye teeth were longer and sharper than before.’
- ‘He smiled a dark smile showing a mouth full of pearl white teeth with a set of elongated eye teeth and canines and held out his hand.’
- ‘The thing that caught my eye was her eye teeth, how large they were.’
give one's eyeteeth for (or to be)
Do anything in order to have or be something.‘I'd give my eyeteeth to be going to sea’
- ‘Her childhood was one any novelist would give his eye teeth for.’
- ‘Believe me, managers around the world would give their eye teeth to learn how we do it.’
- ‘For that one day of the year you would have given your eye teeth for your father to work there.’
- ‘The smash and grab antics of sea trout as they snatch your fly and tear away into the bladderwrack is a heart stopping experience most trout anglers would give their eye teeth for.’
- ‘All I can say is that both directors would have given their eye teeth to work with actors this good.’
- ‘‘Most other communities would give their eye teeth for a downtown airport,’ said Ehlers, who called the historic lakeside field a ‘jewel.’’
- ‘Two intelligent, independent individuals share their lives and a relationship which many couples would give their eye teeth for.’
- ‘There are certainly no fillers amongst this lot; even the drum solo number sounds like something most bands would give their eye teeth for.’
- ‘There are towns like Watchet all over Britain, left high and dry as local industries have failed, who'd give their eye teeth for the development funds available here.’
- ‘American Ballet Theatre, for instance, would give its eye teeth to land the talented young Spaniard.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.