Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A colored cosmetic, typically in powder form, applied to the eyelids or to the skin around the eyes to accentuate them.→ shadow
cosmetics, greasepaintView synonyms
- ‘Then her eyes hadn't looked right, so she'd needed mascara and eyeshadow.’
- ‘After her sister complied, Rebecca twisted her brown hair up and clipped it against her head, dabbing on some lip-gloss and eyeshadow.’
- ‘A little mascara and a dash of silver eyeshadow, then a touch of shimmery lip gloss and a quick brush of face powder and she was done.’
- ‘Her look was completed with a touch of lip gloss and eyeshadow.’
- ‘She had violet eyes that were done up in heavy mascara and eyeshadow.’
- ‘His lips were smeared with black lipstick and heavy pink eyeshadow and glitter covered his eyelids.’
- ‘I scrabble frantically for concealer and eyeliner, lip gloss and eyeshadow.’
- ‘She took out some foundation, lipstick, lipgloss, mascara, eyeliner and eyeshadow and looked at my face for a minute.’
- ‘Blue eyeshadow painted her eyelids while dark ebony traced her closed eyes.’
- ‘She went through it carefully and then picked out black eyeliner, a skin tone colored eyeshadow, and a light pink blush.’
- ‘She had used a light blush to make Mila's face pinker and a shimmery goldish-brown eyeshadow for her eyelids and dark, but not too dark, pink lipgloss for her mouth.’
- ‘Her eyes were heavily made up with black and grey eyeshadow, her skin was dead white, and her mouth was matte and black.’
- ‘I just throw on some powder foundation, blush, tan shimmery eyeshadow, mascara and a neutral colored lipgloss.’
- ‘I stood perfectly still while Lexie brushed on eyeliner, eyeshadow, and mascara.’
- ‘She put on black eyeliner, reddish eyeshadow, and black lipstick.’
- ‘For a shimmery, personalized lotion, crush bronzer or eyeshadow into fine particles and stir it into the lotion bottle.’
- ‘I'm not stupid; I know that with blue eyes, pale skin and dark hair, I shouldn't wear really warm eyeshadow colours.’
- ‘I only bring out the blush, eyeshadow, and mascara on special occasions, or when I feel inspired!’
- ‘I was wearing silver eyeshadow, silver lip-gloss, and my nails were painted silver.’
- ‘She had lined my eyes and dusted some sparkly purple eyeshadow on my eyelids.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.