One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Each of the short curved hairs growing on the edges of the eyelids, serving to protect the eyes from dust particles.
- ‘Her eyelashes are almost as light as her hair, and I can see a sprinkling of tiny freckles on her nose and cheeks.’
- ‘Before curling your eyelashes, heat the curler with a hair dryer for a few seconds.’
- ‘He almost lost his eyesight as a result of this illness and he did lose his eyelashes which never grew in again.’
- ‘There is no evidence of any talent - her performance is a collection of blank looks and batted eyelashes.’
- ‘His eyelashes fluttered, and his eyes opened.’
- ‘A few strands of hair caught on his eyelash and he flicked his head quickly to get them out of the way.’
- ‘When I lit my cigarette, I also managed to burn my eyelashes and set fire to my hair.’
- ‘An eyelash takes six weeks to grow back.’
- ‘In ancient Egypt, Priests plucked every hair from their bodies, including their eyebrows and eyelashes.’
- ‘She was a spinning dynamo of sequins, hair and eyelashes.’
- ‘Dew had settled on her hair and eyelashes by the time she found a good place to practice.’
- ‘Her eyelashes gracefully curved over her eyes and they were even longer than his.’
- ‘All of her major organs were formed but she had no eyelashes, eyebrows or cartilage in her ears.’
- ‘Slowly she raised a thin hand to her face and swiped at the rain that clung to her hair and eyelashes.’
- ‘They sing beautifully, play their own instruments and have deep brown eyes and long eyelashes.’
- ‘His skin was as pale as ever, and dew was shining in his hair and on his eyelashes.’
- ‘Everything about her is long - from her legs to her eyelashes to the dark hair that cascades over her shoulders.’
- ‘Cosmetic eye surgery may also improve your sight if saggy skin in the upper lids hangs over the eyelashes to obstruct vision.’
- ‘A few teardrops clung to her eyelashes and her hair had fallen into her face and stuck to her cheeks.’
- ‘When you lose your eyelashes, you look very weird.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.