One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small plant of the figwort family with little snapdragonlike flowers. Found in dry fields and along roadsides, it was formerly used as a remedy for eye problems.
Genus Euphrasia, family Scrophulariaceae: several species, in particular the European E. officinalis and the North American E. americana
- ‘The herb eyebright is a good solution; its astringent and anti-inflammatory properties will soothe your tired eyes.’
- ‘For runny eyes and to dry the sinuses, eyebright (euphrasia officinalis) is used.’
- ‘If eyes are teary, burning and also swollen, Euphrasia, an extract of the herb eyebright, is a good choice.’
- ‘If you suffer from hay fever, the herb eyebright is a ‘phenomenal ‘solution, Winston says.’’
- ‘But the sight that I'll treasure is that tiny eyebright, the size of a large pinhead, and nature at its most dazzling.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.