One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The area immediately outside the eye of a hurricane or cyclone, associated with tall clouds, heavy rainfall, and high winds.
- ‘Weather Bureau researchers believed seeding a hurricane's eye wall could reduce the storm's intensity.’
- ‘The strongest part of a hurricane is the eye wall, on the edge of the calm center.’
- ‘The basic idea was to seed clouds just outside the eye wall with silver iodide.’
- ‘And look at that towering cloud system around what was the eye wall of the tropical storm.’
- ‘The worst of the storm surge always accompanies the eye wall as it makes landfall because that's where the winds are the highest.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.