One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The area immediately outside the eye of a hurricane or cyclone, associated with tall clouds, heavy rainfall, and high winds.
- ‘The worst of the storm surge always accompanies the eye wall as it makes landfall because that's where the winds are the highest.’
- ‘Weather Bureau researchers believed seeding a hurricane's eye wall could reduce the storm's intensity.’
- ‘The basic idea was to seed clouds just outside the eye wall with silver iodide.’
- ‘The strongest part of a hurricane is the eye wall, on the edge of the calm center.’
- ‘And look at that towering cloud system around what was the eye wall of the tropical storm.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.