One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The area immediately outside the eye of a hurricane or cyclone, associated with tall clouds, heavy rainfall, and high winds.
- ‘And look at that towering cloud system around what was the eye wall of the tropical storm.’
- ‘Weather Bureau researchers believed seeding a hurricane's eye wall could reduce the storm's intensity.’
- ‘The worst of the storm surge always accompanies the eye wall as it makes landfall because that's where the winds are the highest.’
- ‘The basic idea was to seed clouds just outside the eye wall with silver iodide.’
- ‘The strongest part of a hurricane is the eye wall, on the edge of the calm center.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.