Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pencil for applying makeup around the eyes.
eyeliner, kohl pencil, kohl, eyeshadow, eyebrow pencil, lip linerView synonyms
- ‘Truthfully, Mona only owned a tube of black mascara, a black eye pencil and black nail polish.’
- ‘Smear it over the entire eyelid with your fingertips, then add black mascara and eye pencil along the upper lash line.’
- ‘Some look as if they have been expressly made to carry small change or, perhaps, lip gloss and an eye pencil or two.’
- ‘I loaded my thin wrists with the jade bangles I used to adore, before squinting into the mirror to put my contacts in and apply mascara, eye pencil and lip-gloss.’
- ‘Make sure you have the basic tools: tweezers, cuticle scissors, clear mascara, a white eye pencil and an eyebrow pencil or powder.’
- ‘He rolled his eyes and put down the eye pencil, moving along with a small brush, dusting bright red in two circles on my cheeks.’
- ‘‘An eye pencil is wax-based, and therefore heat-resistant and waterproof,’ says Terry Barber.’
- ‘For instant sex appeal, create a feline eye in black eye pencil, or chocolate brown for those with paler colourings.’
- ‘Outlining the entire eye with a smoky shadow or muted eye pencil and adding lash-plumping mascara lends immediate impact.’
- ‘She ran a black eye pencil under both her eyes and threw it back on her dresser.’
- ‘A top tip was using an eyebrow pencil to help define the eyes and to use a brown eye pencil rather than a blue one.’
- ‘If you're not absolutely sure about your own face shape, try using this quick and simple method: take an old lip liner or eye pencil and sit in front of a mirror.’
- ‘The core of the eye pencil is thick, so apply lightly.’
eye pencil/ī ˈpensəl/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.