Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Immediately appealing or noticeable; striking.‘an eye-catching poster’
striking, arresting, conspicuous, noticeable, dramatic, impressive, imposing, spectacular, breathtaking, dazzling, amazing, astounding, astonishing, surprising, staggering, stunning, sensational, awesome, awe-inspiring, engaging, remarkable, notable, noteworthy, distinctive, extraordinary, outstanding, incredible, phenomenal, unusual, rare, uncommon, out of the ordinaryView synonyms
- ‘You also may have noticed the eye-catching links to the right.’
- ‘Four youngsters will be helping to clean up the town with their eye-catching anti-litter posters.’
- ‘The students can also display eye-catching posters on tips for conserving electricity.’
- ‘The effect is dramatic and eye-catching, and helps lead the visitor around the garden.’
- ‘Some eye-catching costumes were on view in York as fundraisers were out in force selling tickets for a huge charity treasure hunt.’
- ‘It was supposed to be the eye-catching hub of a new centre for Yorkshire businesses, designed to look as if it had been there for centuries.’
- ‘The alpine pastures and marshes with an amazing variety of wild flowers were most eye-catching.’
- ‘The eye-catching posters warn passengers that train companies will totally support staff who have been attacked.’
- ‘The sheer elegance and eye-catching appeal have ensured the popularity of vinyl boards to traders.’
- ‘The designs are unlike traditional Indian art forms and are eye-catching, bold and dramatic.’
- ‘However, it's how the footage is used that is the most eye-catching and stunning effect.’
- ‘We have a fantastic eye-catching poster designed by well known artist Jimmy Lawlor.’
- ‘His eye-catching donations show that Mr Gates has a deep interest in development.’
- ‘The artwork is very eye-catching and I hope it will help us to raise awareness, and funds, for Nathan's treatment.’
- ‘For the landowners, an eye-catching stadium would offer an attractive catalyst for the wider development of the area.’
- ‘It was colourful, imaginative and eye-catching and really deserved to be noticed.’
- ‘It also gets some eye-catching styling details, including a stunning red paint job.’
- ‘You'll be nicely surprised as you meander in through the eye-catching valley.’
- ‘His rapid rise through the ranks after an eye-catching performance in the April trials was a rare highlight in a troubled season.’
- ‘The finished works of art were both eye-catching and impressive to all who viewed them.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.