Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to or denoting rock that has been extruded at the earth's surface as lava or other volcanic deposits.
sticking out, protuberant, protruding, prominent, jutting, jutting out, overhanging, standing out, proud, bulging, bulbousView synonyms
- ‘The northern margin of the melange is marked by a thrust contact with both the Carboniferous sedimentary rocks and extrusive volcanic sequence.’
- ‘The presence of extrusive volcanic rocks during the rifting stages suggests that a large volume of melt may also have been added to the crust intrusively.’
- ‘Although there are no outcrops of Devonian extrusive volcanic rocks in NW Scotland, they can be found in southern and central Scotland and the Orkney Islands.’
- ‘On the basis of geochemical analysis and field studies the extrusive volcanic rocks are generally interpreted as being associated with crustal extension.’
- ‘In practice pyroclastic and volcaniclastic rocks include all the products of extrusive volcanic activity except lava flows.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.