One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting rock that has been extruded at the earth's surface as lava or other volcanic deposits.
sticking out, protuberant, protruding, prominent, jutting, jutting out, overhanging, standing out, proud, bulging, bulbousView synonyms
- ‘The northern margin of the melange is marked by a thrust contact with both the Carboniferous sedimentary rocks and extrusive volcanic sequence.’
- ‘The presence of extrusive volcanic rocks during the rifting stages suggests that a large volume of melt may also have been added to the crust intrusively.’
- ‘Although there are no outcrops of Devonian extrusive volcanic rocks in NW Scotland, they can be found in southern and central Scotland and the Orkney Islands.’
- ‘On the basis of geochemical analysis and field studies the extrusive volcanic rocks are generally interpreted as being associated with crustal extension.’
- ‘In practice pyroclastic and volcaniclastic rocks include all the products of extrusive volcanic activity except lava flows.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.