One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An intranet that can be partially accessed by authorized outside users, enabling businesses to exchange information over the Internet securely.‘where intranets embrace employees within a company, extranets extend outwards to offer similar functions to those working closely with the business but separate from it’
- ‘And while three quarters of leather tanners have a Web site and use email, the use of intranets, electronic data interchange and extranets is rare.’
- ‘Imagine an advanced call control service that users can configure right on their PCs or build into their corporate intranets or extranets.’
- ‘In many cases, a company's intranet, extranet, or Internet initiatives already serve as the primary vehicle for delivering critical information to customers, partners, employees, and investors.’
- ‘But we've found a handful of cutting-edge entrepreneurs who are using intranets and extranets to transform their business strategies, in most cases by helping their companies forge new relationships.’
- ‘This holds true for an intranet, an extranet, or a public Web site.’
- ‘Increased Internet use, mobile computing, intranets and extranets, and e-commerce initiatives are integral to business communications.’
- ‘Publishing Web services outside of the enterprise will allow partners and even customers to consume the information/functionality and use it on their extranets / intranets.’
- ‘Email, intranets, and extranets can move information across borders, around established bottlenecks, and over chains of command - so that complaints, suggestions, and alternatives get a hearing inside the company.’
- ‘But that began to change as Clemmons' team started bringing customers onto the secure extranet and giving them access to the self-help application.’
- ‘Document management solutions now incorporate elements of content management, a more robust database, more sophisticated access control, workflow processes, and access via the internet, intranet or extranet.’
- ‘The increasing use of extranets - the granting of non-employees and business partners secure access to internal networks - which have become a ‘must have’ requirement of conducting business.’
- ‘The company also implements intranets and secure extranets as well as internet-based applications.’
- ‘The company develops and adapts the software for companies to multiple environments including internet, intranets, extranets, wireless and text messaging.’
- ‘What is new is the scope and scale of the application of rich metadata to a much wider variety of content objects - intranets, extranets and even the Web.’
- ‘The core business application of 3G is provision of ubiquitous access to corporate intranets and extranets.’
- ‘The proliferation of Web-based content on corporate intranets, extranets and Web pages has provided a daunting array of challenges.’
- ‘One of the biggest areas of investment was in company extranets to enable B2B transactions.’
- ‘Then there are Web sites, extranets, intranets, and other ways of passing information, be they messages or digital objects like a Powerpoint slide show, a PDF, or a piece of media.’
- ‘This includes Web portal access tools provided by database vendors for intranet, extranet or Internet access.’
- ‘Employees, suppliers, customers, and partners communicate - every day and in real time - via intranets and extranets.’
1990s: from extra- + net by analogy with intranet.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.