Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(of an activity at a school or college) pursued in addition to the normal course of study.‘extracurricular activities include sports, drama, music, chess’
- ‘Students will also get more time to study as well as for extra-curricular activities.’
- ‘To this end, many schools put an emphasis on sporting and other extra-curricular activities to make school fun, rather than a burden.’
- ‘The extra hours will be used to give children under 14 breakfast and offer extra-curricular activities, including homework clubs, sport, drama groups and visits to museums and galleries.’
- ‘The award scheme is proving very popular amongst the pupils and after the success of the hike on Sunday will no doubt remain a popular extra-curricular activity at the school.’
- ‘In the summertime, the bases hire college students from the United States to oversee extra-curricular activities for children.’
- ‘A ban on school sports and extra-curricular activities remained in place.’
- ‘A ban on school sports and other extra-curricular activities last week led to thousands of students streaming out of schools, many holding roadside demonstrations to demand that the government meet the teachers' demands.’
- ‘The programme is a part both of the curriculum elective courses and of the extra-curricular activities of the students, for which they receive grades.’
- ‘In addition to her extra-curricular activities at school, she is the president of the Dawson Community Group Conferencing Society and was a founding board member of the Dawson City Arts Society.’
- ‘The school also boasted achievements in sports and other extra-curricular activities.’
- ‘This is a thriving school offering a very rounded education as it includes many extra-curricular activities aimed at developing the whole person.’
- ‘Studies could include maths, English, science, a language, a humanities subject, some vocational study plus extra-curricular activities to be introduced in 2010.’
- ‘Apart from regular studies, the children also learn various extra-curricular activities like painting, vocal and instrumental music and classical dance.’
- ‘He believes the move would spark a decline in school sport and other extra-curricular activities.’
- ‘Monitoring of pupils at all levels is exceptionally effective while pastoral care and extra-curricular activities, including music and sport, were also praised.’
- ‘And in addition, he says, the shift in the timetable will give youngsters more time to take advantage of sporting and extra-curricular activities at the school, as well as pursue other interests out of school.’
- ‘He said that it also damaged the extent to which schools were prepared to engage in extra-curricular activities, such as debating, sport or drama because exams become the be all and end all.’
- ‘Gone are the days when competitions were an extra-curricular activity in colleges.’
- ‘I dropped out after two weeks when I realized I'd burnt out on extra-curricular activities in high school and couldn't bring myself to care anymore.’
- ‘It could also reflect extra-curricular activities such as voluntary work and sport.’
- 1.1humorous Outside the normal routine, especially that provided by a job or marriage.‘Harriet's extracurricular sweetheart’
- ‘Those tips can be useful reminders, especially if you're the kind of person who plans so many extra-curricular activities that you hardly see your partner unless you schedule a rendezvous.’
- ‘It looks like common sense to be sure my partner and I can fulfill each other's sexual needs. Otherwise, someone is likely to go extra-curricular... and there goes the marriage’
- ‘But since I made public my extra-curricular activities with that woman who shall remain nameless, I have kept to the straight and narrow.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.