Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A base hit that allows a batter to safely reach second base, third base, or home without the benefit of a fielding error; a double, triple, or home run.
- ‘Players with high slugging percentages generally generate a lot of extra-base hits, such as doubles and home runs.’
- ‘As a rookie, Pierre had just two extra-base hits (both doubles) and 60 singles in 51 games in 2000.’
- ‘Oakland is last in extra-base hits, including both doubles and home runs.’
- ‘Stunningly, he had no extra-base hits other than home runs early in the season.’
- ‘His career total bases and extra-base hits are second only to Aaron.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.