One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A base hit that allows a batter to safely reach second base, third base, or home without the benefit of a fielding error; a double, triple, or home run.
- ‘Stunningly, he had no extra-base hits other than home runs early in the season.’
- ‘As a rookie, Pierre had just two extra-base hits (both doubles) and 60 singles in 51 games in 2000.’
- ‘Players with high slugging percentages generally generate a lot of extra-base hits, such as doubles and home runs.’
- ‘His career total bases and extra-base hits are second only to Aaron.’
- ‘Oakland is last in extra-base hits, including both doubles and home runs.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.