Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to stimuli that are external to an organism.Compare with interoceptive
- ‘In addition, he assigned a primary role to positive reinforcement by avoidance - response-produced stimuli and/or by exteroceptive stimuli that are contingent on the avoidance response.’
- ‘The multitude of other mechanoreceptors act mainly as proprioceptors although some encode both proprioceptive and exteroceptive information.’
- ‘The primate ventral prefrontal cortex contains two densely interconnected subregions: a lateral/orbital cortex processing primarily sensory/exteroceptive information, and a ventromedial cortex processing primarily visceroappetitive/interoceptive information.’
- ‘Eventual dissipation of somatic dissociation or a diversion of attention to somatic or exteroceptive processes brings the individual's OBE to an end.’
- ‘During those sessions in which a switch in reinforcer type occurred at the midpoint of the session, no exteroceptive stimulus accompanied the switch.’
Early 20th century: probably a blend of exterior or external and receptive.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.