One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to stimuli that are external to an organism.Compare with interoceptive
- ‘The primate ventral prefrontal cortex contains two densely interconnected subregions: a lateral/orbital cortex processing primarily sensory/exteroceptive information, and a ventromedial cortex processing primarily visceroappetitive/interoceptive information.’
- ‘Eventual dissipation of somatic dissociation or a diversion of attention to somatic or exteroceptive processes brings the individual's OBE to an end.’
- ‘The multitude of other mechanoreceptors act mainly as proprioceptors although some encode both proprioceptive and exteroceptive information.’
- ‘During those sessions in which a switch in reinforcer type occurred at the midpoint of the session, no exteroceptive stimulus accompanied the switch.’
- ‘In addition, he assigned a primary role to positive reinforcement by avoidance - response-produced stimuli and/or by exteroceptive stimuli that are contingent on the avoidance response.’
Early 20th century: probably a blend of exterior or external and receptive.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.