One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Excessive regard for outward form in religion.
- ‘Eventually, he argued, this is what in fact happened so that the prophets faced a dead externalism in religious practice and a mechanical routine in religious thought.’
- ‘Having established the principle which condemned religious externalism, Jesus went on to give specific examples of its practice.’
The view that mental events and acts are essentially dependent on the world external to the mind, in opposition to the Cartesian separation of mental and physical worlds.
- ‘However, one may draw rather different conclusions from the Cartesian thought experiment - turning it against externalism.’
- ‘By considering a series of examples, I shall attempt to exhibit as clearly as possible the fundamental intuition about epistemic rationality that externalism seems to violate.’
- ‘The difference between externalism and internalism is that of watching a movie versus having a role in one and making up our own lines.’
- ‘This weak externalism naturally expands into more robust varieties.’
- ‘So externalism poses no extra challenge to functionalism.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.