Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Denoting a record that plays longer than most singles.
- ‘The 7-inch 45-rpm vinyl EP (extended play) record was a phenomenon of the 1950s and 1960s.’
- ‘As a teenager, you carried these singles proudly like gold, and if you were lucky, you just may have had one of the few EP's, those extended play 45's with four and perhaps more tracks.’
- 1.1Denoting an audio- or videotape that is thinner and longer than standard.
- ‘The present invention relates generally to magnetic tape and film cassettes and more particularly to an extended play cassette.’
- ‘Whereas a 90-minute film recorded in the standard-play mode takes about 900 feet of tape, an extended-play tape takes about 200 feet.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.