One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Cause to protrude; push out.‘an exserted stigma’
- ‘The exserted stamens and feathery stigma branches, unique in the family, along with the preference of most species for open habitats, suggests wind pollination.’
- ‘In flowers of short-styled individuals, the top of the stigma is located just above the midpoint of the corolla tube and stamens are slightly exserted.’
- ‘On the basis of the phylogenic relationships, autogamous species most likely evolved from self-incompatibility ancestors that have exserted stigmas.’
- ‘The flowers lack petals and display 8 prominently exserted stamens and a single exserted style.’
- ‘All three subspecies are white flowering with a tubular corolla and a long style that exserts the stigma from the corolla tube.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin exsert- ‘put forth’, from the verb exserere (see exert).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.