One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a person's face or voice) not conveying any emotion; unemotional.‘her face was expressionless’
inscrutable, unreadable, deadpan, poker-faceddull, dry, toneless, monotonous, drab, boring, tedious, flat, static, wooden, unmodulated, unvarying, undemonstrative, devoid of emotion, devoid of feelingView synonyms
- ‘On stage, as the band around him rocks the crowd, he stands there motionless, expressionless.’
- ‘Dressed in a blue jacket and blue shirt, he remained expressionless when the verdict was returned.’
- ‘In all the other passport style photos I had done I was always trying not to smile and just look expressionless.’
- ‘In these, and all matters, Laursen's expressionless tone and apparent insouciance can be misleading.’
- ‘She was just still and quiet, watching people walk past with bags of Christmas shopping with an expressionless face.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.