Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The operation of raising one quantity to the power of another.
- ‘Computing individual hexadecimal digits using that formula relies on a venerable technique known as the binary algorithm for exponentiation.’
- ‘With ordinals you can do addition, multiplication and exponentiation - even infinitely often - but you can't do subtraction or division, as far as I know.’
- ‘Imposing time reversibility has the computational advantage that the matrix exponentiation can be carried out without much difficulty.’
- ‘One of the main reasons for including an introduction to modular arithmetic is that the two most popular public key algorithms use modular exponentiation as their basic mathematical process.’
- ‘I was particularly dismayed at Lewand's treatment of modular exponentiation, which is the central operation in many cryptosystems.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.