The operation of raising one quantity to the power of another.
- ‘One of the main reasons for including an introduction to modular arithmetic is that the two most popular public key algorithms use modular exponentiation as their basic mathematical process.’
- ‘Computing individual hexadecimal digits using that formula relies on a venerable technique known as the binary algorithm for exponentiation.’
- ‘I was particularly dismayed at Lewand's treatment of modular exponentiation, which is the central operation in many cryptosystems.’
- ‘Imposing time reversibility has the computational advantage that the matrix exponentiation can be carried out without much difficulty.’
- ‘With ordinals you can do addition, multiplication and exponentiation - even infinitely often - but you can't do subtraction or division, as far as I know.’