One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A job offer that is retracted if not accepted within a very short period of time.‘they can’t get first-rate students unless they use pressure tactics like exploding offers’
- ‘As hospitals offered positions earlier and earlier in an attempt to pre-empt the competition for the best candidates, students were confronted with "exploding offers," so-called because they expired if not accepted by the applicant within a day or two.’
- ‘VCs who make exploding offers are pretty much automatically eliminating all the people with good business sense from their potential universe of companies.’
- ‘If you get an exploding offer from a company that's not your first choice, push back.’
- ‘I want to warn you about one trick that's very common with on-campus recruiters: the cynical "exploding offer."’
- ‘It seems to me that a company that accepts an exploding offer is demonstrating a remarkable lack of basic business aptitude.’
- ‘In the rare case that they don't accept that, accept the exploding offer at the last minute, but go to the other interviews anyway.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.