One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Accordingly, he sees storytelling festivals as large expiatory and redemptory rituals of an almost religious kind.’
- ‘The souls of the dead are led before him and he reminds them that they themselves are the authors of their fate and are alone responsible for the expiatory punishment they are about to undergo.’
- ‘In an expiatory sacrifice the blood which is shed is regarded as wiping out a transgression.’
- ‘Any expiatory rite is focused on the human predicament - on the problem of sin or cultic impurity.’
- ‘He died in his forties in a sanitarium, unvisited by Eugene, who, twenty years later, wrote this expiatory play.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.