A new team added to an established professional sport league.
- ‘No expansion team in sports history won a championship faster than the 1970-71 Bucks, who won the title in just their third season.’
- ‘To put it in context, imagine the Kansas City Monarchs suddenly becoming an expansion team in Major League Baseball in the '40s.’
- ‘‘We designed the stadium with soccer in mind,’ says the Eagles president, who has been in talks with MLS about investing in an expansion team.’
- ‘Even the New York Islanders, the most successful expansion team in pro sports with four championships in its first dozen years, hasn't come out on top in 20 years.’
- ‘While the Bobcats benefit by being a sole expansion team entering the league and have drawn a choice divisional assignment, success in their first season could be hard to come by.’