Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A new team added to an established professional sport league.
- ‘While the Bobcats benefit by being a sole expansion team entering the league and have drawn a choice divisional assignment, success in their first season could be hard to come by.’
- ‘To put it in context, imagine the Kansas City Monarchs suddenly becoming an expansion team in Major League Baseball in the '40s.’
- ‘Even the New York Islanders, the most successful expansion team in pro sports with four championships in its first dozen years, hasn't come out on top in 20 years.’
- ‘No expansion team in sports history won a championship faster than the 1970-71 Bucks, who won the title in just their third season.’
- ‘‘We designed the stadium with soccer in mind,’ says the Eagles president, who has been in talks with MLS about investing in an expansion team.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.