Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A place in a computer where an expansion card can be inserted.
- ‘If a nurse wants reference programs, he or she should purchase a handheld computer that has an expansion slot for memory.’
- ‘In addition to featuring a smaller form factor, the device has an expansion slot for portable memory and it includes a built-in camera.’
- ‘The rocker power switch is mounted on an expansion slot, so you can easily turn it on and off with the simple flick of a switch on the rear of your computer.’
- ‘The company designed the card because PDAs typically contain a single expansion slot, and may not have WiFi built in.’
- ‘The main card body includes a coupling portion for coupling the expansion card to an expansion slot of the computer.’
expansion slot/ekˈspanSHən ˌslät/
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.