Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A joint that makes allowance for thermal expansion of the parts joined without distortion.
- ‘So began a painstaking operation to replace bolts and an expansion joint on the carriageway taking traffic out of the city, which was completed in 1969.’
- ‘An expansion joint connects that bay to the penultimate bay from the original design.’
- ‘In the portion of the building that remained standing to the north of the expansion joint, the slab and second-floor columns were heavily damaged.’
- ‘Provide an expansion joint by removing the mortar along the joint down to the concrete, and use polyurethane caulk to fill the joint.’
- ‘The change in deck structure required an expansion joint to avoid problems with differential movement.’
expansion joint/ekˈspanSHən joint//ikˈspanSHən ˌjoint/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.