One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A benign outgrowth of cartilaginous tissue on a bone.
- ‘Patients with exostoses often report a history of cold-water swimming.’
- ‘The symptoms produced by exostoses are a prolonged blocked feeling of the ears after water activities with deafness and recurrent otitis externa.’
- ‘Despite no difference noted in outcome, the authors concluded that the exostosis should be excised if prominent and easily accessible when associated with posterior shoulder pain and tenderness.’
- ‘In the present study, all except one of the patients had a solitary exostosis.’
- ‘Trauma, chronic exposure to moisture, and exostoses make otitis externa a common ailment among surfers.’
Late 16th century: from Greek, from ex- ‘out’ + osteon ‘bone’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.