One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A benign outgrowth of cartilaginous tissue on a bone.
- ‘In the present study, all except one of the patients had a solitary exostosis.’
- ‘The symptoms produced by exostoses are a prolonged blocked feeling of the ears after water activities with deafness and recurrent otitis externa.’
- ‘Patients with exostoses often report a history of cold-water swimming.’
- ‘Trauma, chronic exposure to moisture, and exostoses make otitis externa a common ailment among surfers.’
- ‘Despite no difference noted in outcome, the authors concluded that the exostosis should be excised if prominent and easily accessible when associated with posterior shoulder pain and tenderness.’
Late 16th century: from Greek, from ex- ‘out’ + osteon ‘bone’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.