Abnormal protrusion of the eyeball or eyeballs.
- ‘People with exophthalmos are able to look upwards without moving their eyebrows.’
- ‘Thyroid problems are by far the most common cause of exophthalmos.’
- ‘The clinical features of thyroid eye disease include ocular pain, photophobia, chemosis, diplopia, exophthalmos, and eye irritation.’
- ‘One you have been diagnosed, your eye doctor will want to examine your eyes regularly, because exophthalmos is a progressive disease.’
- ‘The left orbit was medially compressed, and exophthalmos had occurred.’
Early 17th century: from modern Latin exophthalmus, from Greek exophthalmos having prominent eyes from ex- out + ophthalmos eye.