Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A specialized layer in a root beneath the epidermis or velamen.
- ‘The root endodermis and, to a lesser extent, exodermis have been identified as possible membrane control points for radial water flux in roots.’
- ‘In the endodermis and exodermis of roots, the apoplastic flow component can be modified by the existence of apoplastic barriers.’
- ‘After switching to UV illumination, a clear image of the fluorescent exodermis allowed observation and measurement of its component cells.’
- ‘Thus, water channels in the epidermis and/or exodermis of the older regions were especially significant for water flow.’
- ‘There were no visible differences in the development of endodermis, exodermis and aerenchyma between the two varieties and growth conditions.’
Early 20th century: from exo- outside on the pattern of endodermis, epidermis.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.