One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A line spoken by an actor immediately before leaving the stage.
- ‘The film is worth viewing if only for her exit line in one scene, ‘I moonlight as a shrine maiden.’’
- ‘Almost equally valuable is their conscious retention of the subjunctive in Richard's exit line at the climax of IV.iii, ‘My wounds are inward.’’
- ‘Cinema historians will be thrilled to know there is finally an exit line to top Orson Welles's immortal ‘Rosebud…’ at the end of Citizen Kane.’
- 1.1 A parting remark.
- ‘With that echoing exit line, he spun on his heel and disappeared into shadow.’
- ‘If ever there was an exit line Justin just heard it and that didn't make him feel any better because he wanted to get along with his mother.’
- ‘He had sat staring after her, agape for a few long moments after she delivered that perfect exit line and sashayed out of the bar.’
- ‘‘I am just going outside and may be some time’ must be the most famous exit line in the world, quoted almost daily.’
- ‘Before they could react, the distinguished guest broke the tension by an exit line which would do any great actor proud; ‘Don't be alarmed, Mr. Chairman, I did the same thing to Stalin and the Pope’.’
- ‘This doesn't seem like an exit line; he seems to really mean it.’
- ‘And with that grand exit line, I stepped out of the car.’
- ‘I'm trying to come up with a more original exit line.’
- ‘I turned to my sons with what I was sure would be our exit line - ‘It is your choice whether or not you want to spend your money here’.’
- ‘Feeling this a fitting exit line, she turned from me, collected her coat that hung over the back of a chair and walked to the door.’
- ‘Next time, I was going to have to think of another exit line.’
- ‘The world watching the broadcasts, however, saw a shrunken old man whose exit line - ‘God willing, I will come back’ - seemed unlikely to be fulfilled.’
- ‘‘By the way,’ the patient adds, as I try for a discreet exit line, ‘Could you get one of the nurses to pick up my bedpan?’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.