One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A line spoken by an actor immediately before leaving the stage.
- ‘Almost equally valuable is their conscious retention of the subjunctive in Richard's exit line at the climax of IV.iii, ‘My wounds are inward.’’
- ‘Cinema historians will be thrilled to know there is finally an exit line to top Orson Welles's immortal ‘Rosebud…’ at the end of Citizen Kane.’
- ‘The film is worth viewing if only for her exit line in one scene, ‘I moonlight as a shrine maiden.’’
- 1.1 A parting remark.‘“You've got lipstick all over your face.” And using that as an exit line she stalked out’
- ‘This doesn't seem like an exit line; he seems to really mean it.’
- ‘‘I am just going outside and may be some time’ must be the most famous exit line in the world, quoted almost daily.’
- ‘He had sat staring after her, agape for a few long moments after she delivered that perfect exit line and sashayed out of the bar.’
- ‘With that echoing exit line, he spun on his heel and disappeared into shadow.’
- ‘If ever there was an exit line Justin just heard it and that didn't make him feel any better because he wanted to get along with his mother.’
- ‘Feeling this a fitting exit line, she turned from me, collected her coat that hung over the back of a chair and walked to the door.’
- ‘And with that grand exit line, I stepped out of the car.’
- ‘Before they could react, the distinguished guest broke the tension by an exit line which would do any great actor proud; ‘Don't be alarmed, Mr. Chairman, I did the same thing to Stalin and the Pope’.’
- ‘‘By the way,’ the patient adds, as I try for a discreet exit line, ‘Could you get one of the nurses to pick up my bedpan?’’
- ‘I turned to my sons with what I was sure would be our exit line - ‘It is your choice whether or not you want to spend your money here’.’
- ‘I'm trying to come up with a more original exit line.’
- ‘The world watching the broadcasts, however, saw a shrunken old man whose exit line - ‘God willing, I will come back’ - seemed unlikely to be fulfilled.’
- ‘Next time, I was going to have to think of another exit line.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.