One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A student who has been awarded an exhibition (scholarship).
- ‘He was an exhibitioner at Balliol College, Oxford, where he gained a first class honours degree in classics and coxed the Oxford boat in 1925.’
- ‘There he won numerous scholarships being Pitt Club exhibitioner, then Somerset exhibitioner, then foundation scholar, then London University scholar, and finally Whitworth engineering scholar.’
- ‘He was an exhibitioner at Clare College, Cambridge.’
- ‘Mr Newell was educated at Shrewsbury College and Magdalen College, Oxford, where he was an exhibitioner and honorary Demy.’
- ‘Whilst he was a choral exhibitioner at Cambridge, he sang with the university opera group.’
- ‘He studied at Glasgow University and as a Snell exhibitioner at Balliol College, Oxford.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.