One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A piece of exercise equipment having handlebars, pedals, and a saddle like a bicycle, on which the user replicates the movements of bicycling.
- ‘Use an exercise bike, jog in water or try some other non-impacting sport rather than walking or running.’
- ‘Corlette recommends moderate aerobic exercise such as walking or cycling, although she stresses this should be on an exercise bike rather than outdoors because of the increased risks of falling.’
- ‘Then again, viewing pictures of Hyde Park while riding an exercise bike is also the closest that I will ever come to a cycling expedition.’
- ‘First, though, I'm going to try riding my exercise bike for half an hour and see if that clears my mood a bit.’
- ‘The test involves 15 minutes on the exercise bike, with the level of intensity increasing at certain stages.’
- ‘Participants would be required to do a 12-minute low intensity test on an exercise bike on two occasions a few weeks apart at the university.’
- ‘After that I started doing some work on an exercise bike, then I moved on to light weights and after a week of that I could begin running - I've trained really hard.’
- ‘Once he can put his foot to the ground using his full body weight, Duffield plans to get on an exercise bike to help maintain his muscle, keep his fitness up and keep the weight off.’
- ‘Boosting your oxygen flow gets your metabolism going and increases the rate at which toxins are broken down in your body, so go for a brisk walk or jump on your exercise bike.’
- ‘They were joined by staff who helped keep an exercise bike and skiing and rowing machines going for nine hours.’
- ‘They include the exercise bike, which comes with a speedometer and calorie counter, and can be had for HK $1,980, or a discount of 20 per cent.’
- ‘A special two-storey extension has been built on to the family's semi, complete with a special exercise bike to help aid her recovery and strengthen her muscles.’
- ‘‘I could hardly climb the stairs to the entrance, let alone pedal the exercise bike the instructor sat me on,’ she recalled.’
- ‘The previous evening he had treated himself to a one-course meal but the calories were burnt off by jogging on a treadmill for four miles and then doing another six on an exercise bike.’
- ‘And did you know that laughing 100 times is equal to 10 minutes on the rowing machine or 15 minutes on an exercise bike?’
- ‘Still, why not take instruction from history and hook a generator to your exercise bike or rowing machine?’
- ‘I won't say I became a hermit, but I'd come home from school and jump on an exercise bike and pretend I was doing the Tour de France.’
- ‘In previous years the club has bought an exercise bike and a treadmill for the Cardiac Rehabilitation gym.’
- ‘They haven't had any real exercise since school, yet they eagerly leap on the treadmill, jump on the exercise bike and pump their iron.’
- ‘He regularly attends physiotherapy, uses an exercise bike at his home and calls on his family to help stretch his legs - something he tries to do every day.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.