One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a file or program) able to be run by a computer.
- ‘Sophos said users should routinely delete unsolicited emails containing executable files.’
- ‘Documents, pictures and even executable programs are easy to conceptualize as files on your hard disk.’
- ‘But because they contain instructions for a computer's processor, executable files are less forgiving of tampering.’
- ‘This small executable file which is conductive to traditional worm propagation vector such as e-mail file attachments.’
- ‘The fix requires customers to download an executable file to the desktop, and then reboot the PC.’
An executable file or program.
- ‘The text tries to convince the user to run the executable, which then encrypts all executable files, rendering them unusable.’
- ‘Having identified a PC, the client agent then performs a full audit of the machine, recording everything from the serial number to a complete list of all software executables and file types located on the hard disk.’
- ‘There's little legitimate reason to send executables or screensavers via email but these routes of distribution are frequently used by virus writers.’
- ‘Be wary of downloading executables or documents from the internet, as these can often harbour computer viruses.’
- ‘Business users are advised to filter for Windows executables and zip files in their email.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.